The Scriptures show that we are all to be submitted to authority. We submit to authority, and we are given authority (Luke 7:8). This submission starts on the most personal and immediate level to Yeshua (Jesus) as Lord, and continues on to a global or worldwide alignment for the entire Body of Messiah.
As the progression of spiritual authority moves from the personal to the global, the demand of submission becomes lighter. Here is how spiritual authority progresses from “micro” to “macro.”
- Personal Submission to Yeshua – Every believer in Yeshua should be submitted to Yeshua’s spiritual authority in his own life personally (Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46).
- Membership in Local Congregation – Subsequently, each believer should make a commitment to a local congregation of faith (Matthew 16:18) under the spiritual authority of qualified elders (I Timothy 3).
- Teamwork Leadership – Each group of leaders should treat one another as equals before God, yet allow one who is “first among equals” to lead the team.
- Apostolic/Prophetic Teams – Each congregational or ministry leader should be part of an apostolic-prophetic network and submitted to its leadership team (Ephesians 4:11-16).
- Senior Advisors – Each apostolic leader should himself be submitted to a council of senior apostolic advisors for accountability and oversight (like elder/grandfathers in the ancient tribes of Israel).
- Unity of the Body – These levels of mutual submission, teamwork and accountability enable the greater community of faith to function in unity, maturity and integrity (Ephesians 4:12-16).
- Jerusalem Alignment – As we move toward the Second Coming, these networks will become more and more aligned, both spiritually and geographically, with restored Messianic Jewish apostolic leadership in the Jerusalem area (Matthew 19:28, Acts 1:21 – 26, Isaiah 2:2-3, Acts 15:2, 16:4, Galatians 2:1-2, Zechariah 8:23).
As we come into right relationship and alignment, we create an “atmosphere” where the power and kingdom of God is released. Leaders should be the first to demonstrate this heart of submission. When we started the oversight at Tiferet Yeshua and Ahavat Yeshua, I called the local leadership team together and said, “I want you to know that if I sin or act improperly, I can be removed from this position. Here is a list of the people to whom I am submitted and can remove me.” The act of submission invites others into alignment as well.
Alignment involves submission to authority, right covenantal order and an understanding of prophetic direction for the future. This is something that we believe the Spirit of God is emphasizing to His people in these end times.